No matter how easy wedding dress shopping looks on TV, believe us, it can be stressful. Our motto is: “Know before you go.” So, keep these 10 tips in mind when heading off to your bridal appointments!
1. Choose your entourage wisely. It may seem like a good idea to ask all 10 of your “best friends” to accompany you, but too many opinions can cloud your judgement. Plus, most bridal gown shops only have room for a few extra people.
2. Try on all different styles. You may have “the perfect dress” in mind, but be open to trying on an array of silhouettes and fabrics. You may surprise yourself!
3. Eat breakfast. We know you want to look your best, but not eating before your appointments will just make you hangry (hungry and angry)! Bridal appointments can take time and the dresses can be heavy, so be prepared by fueling your body.
4. Wear appropriate undergarments and don’t be shy. Your bridal consultant is there to facilitate your appointment, and this includes helping you put the dresses on and take them off. (Don’t worry, she’s seen every shape and figure!) Be prepared by wearing undergarments you don’t mind seeing the light of day.
5. Trust your consultant. You may know exactly what you want, but your consultant knows the dresses. Having seen hundreds of brides with varying figures try them on, she knows what silhouette will look good on your body. Tell her what you envision, but trust her to pull some options for you, and be open to her suggestions.
6. Wear makeup. Believe it or not, many bridal gown shops have overhead fluorescent lighting. So, do yourself a favor and wear a touch more makeup than normal. This will also give you a better idea of how you will look on your wedding day.
7. Don’t just stand there — dance and sit! Your wedding dress may feel very comfortable when you’re standing, but you’re going to be doing a lot more than just standing on your wedding day! Make sure you can dance, sit and walk in it. You may feel foolish in the moment, but we promise you’ll be glad you gave the gown a test drive when you’re able to get down on the dance floor!
8. You may not cry. TV shows tell us that you know it’s “the” dress when you, your mom and your best friend all cry. This may not happen, and that’s okay! Everyone experiences emotion differently, so don’t put pressure on yourself to react a certain way.
9. Just because you’re a size six in regular clothes doesn’t mean you’ll be a size six in bridal gowns. Bridal gown sizing is completely funky, but your trusty consultant will measure you and make sure you order the perfect size. Focus on how beautiful you feel in the dress, and forget about the size on the tag of the dress!
10. Sharing is caring. You may walk into a bridal shop and see another bride trying on your dress. Keep in mind that you are not the only bride planning a spring wedding and envisioning a lace mermaid gown. Dresses fit everyone differently, and there’s nothing wrong with sharing the mirrors, pedestals and even gowns!